View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Insert Catchy Title Here

[ QUOTE ]
Before you reply, give some real thought to his likely holdings and how he might play those holdings. Some of the lines that have been suggested, IMO, accomplish nothing positive, given his range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it would be helpful to know a little more about the opponent and also if this was a full ring game or shorthanded - to me that's an important element.....I'd like to know what kind of hand villain could be calling a raise with in MP pre-flop.....

here are some thoughts though......

on the flop, checkraising doesn't make a whole lot of sense because if he reraises, it leaves you in a quandry about whether he's holding a big draw, a made flush, a higher set, etc - and if you start showing strength, he might let go of his draw......

on the turn, leading out is definitely a possibility - don't let him draw for cheap, could get to a cheaper showdown if he's got a medium-strength made hand....bad part is, again, if he's real tricky or already has the flush, you blow yourself off the hand.....and again, by showing strength, you might either make him lay down his draw and also MOST IMPORTANTLY stop him from bluffing the river with a busted draw.....check/calling works if you have the intention of calling any non-heart river bet.....check/raising works if you don't want to let him catch a cheap heart, but, you lose more when your behind....

and given the above, the river plays itself....

it's an interesting hand, and tough given the wide range of hands villain could have.....I guess the problem is that he'd play the nuts the same way......and if that's the case, could you have found out sooner?.....maybe....I guess what it comes down to is that you were willing to back your stack on a read that you had the best hand unless another heart came, so if that's the case, check/calling all the way is the best line.....I just think the danger is that on the river when he bets, a busted a draw is the ONE hand you beat, whereas the SEVERAL other made hands all beat you (except for MAYBE QhJx), though, I don't know, maybe he wouldn't bet a higher set there......