Thread: Bet the Raise
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Bet the Raise

Hi all. I am new to the site. In fact, this is my first post. I am a long time poker player and I am an avid student of the game, reading and studying just about every thing I can get my hands on....but enough about me. I wanted to ask the opinion of some of the great minds on this site in regards to a specific home game I frequently play in. We play four games (one round of each) - Omaha high, 7 stud, 5 stud, and what we call pinnaple. I've heard it called Luisianna in other places, but it's basically hold-em where you get 3 cards and must discard one before the bet gets to you.

The stakes are high in this game. In fact, I am kind of reluctant to say exactly how high for a number of reasons, but suffice it to say, winning or loosing the equivelant of a luxury car in one session is not at all unusual.

Here's the interesting part of the game and what is at the root of my question. In all the games we play, the betting goes like any normal game, with two super huge exceptions. 1)There is no limit to the number of raises and the raise can always be double the last bet, and 2)On the next card, any better can now come out betting whatever the last raise was. So, for instance, if the bet got raised 3 times on the flop to say, $800. The better can come out betting anything up to $800 on the next card. As you can see, this can make for some tremendous action.

I've been playing in this game for about 3 years and have done quite well in the first 2 years. This year has been much more unpredictable, mainly I believe, due to the intoduction of some new above average players. So here I am trying to better myself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My question or questions are in regard to how this betting stucture truly changes the games and how they should be played. You won't find any literature on a betting structure like this, so its often a tricky thing for me when trying to apply theories and concepts from books I've studied to this particular game. It's not limit, pot limit or even no limit. My feeling is that it most closely resembles pot limit, but since it's not exactly the same, any insight on how I might adjust pot limit strategies would be greatly appreciated.....or am I wrong on that altogether?

I've read most of the books published by two plus two, most of them numerous times, so any reference on how to apply the lessons in any of those books to my home game would be the most valuable for me.

All comments and addition questions or clarification or welcome.

Thanks in advance for your insights!