View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Advanced-beginner syndrome. Am I approaching my progression properly?

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to play properly and less like a rock. I am playing now UB, .25/.50 which I can afford,

[/ QUOTE ]

This made all the difference in the world to my game. The importance of having the bankroll to fund the stakes you are playing cannot be stressed enough, especially at beginning and advanced beginning stages (where you stated you are and where I am at as well.) I feel bad for the players that sit at the .50/1.00 tables at Pacific with $20 (if they are like I was, probably their second/third $20 deposit of the day)lose it calling down bets and folding at the river, then sit out when it is gone. Swings happen, and seeing your bank roll depleted by 10% or 20% total by someone catching a runner runner flush or straight can be devastating.

Since I have played the levels that I can afford (playing .50/1.00 with about 435BB) it is much easier to play the game properly. Less stressful on bad beats, easier to build pots when appropriate, easier to chuckle at the calling station that draws trips w/72 and beats your AK TPTK.

The proper bankroll allows you to look at bets as just that, BBs, and not $$ or xx% of your bankroll.

Playing like a rock is proper Pre flop play, but quite often playing like a rock post flop is a result of protecting an underfunded bankroll and more often than not, losing you money. You can't be agressive if you can't afford to lose a few BBs to raised pot with TPTK or a 9 out
flush draw with 15 BBs in the pot, especially at .25/.50 and .50/1.00. +ev plays often (quite often) lose you pots, but they build your bankroll.