View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Party/Empire SnGs in later stages...

By level 5 on Party, If I have any less than about 1800, which is most of the time, I am in push/fold mode.

the few exceptions to this are times when I might limp in the SB for an extra 100 if I have a speculative hand like JTs or 33 and virtually everyone else limps in before me.

In this push/fold mode, I am looking to push on the button or in the SB (which is pretty common 4-5 handed). hands that I am looking to push with are:

AK-AT. In the SB, I will often push with as little as A7
KQ-KT.
Pairs
Most suited broadway cards
the occasional suited connector like 9Ts

The thing is, I find at lower stakes SNGs, you have to really be watching your targets closely. Some guys will call a lot if you have been stealing a lot and you will not see me pushing 9Ts or QTs against some guys.

Another factor is how often you are pushing. If I have been stealing a lot, I might fold a lot of hands just because I think I'm going to get a call. On that same token, if I have been folding everything for a while and I find K7 in the SB, I might try a steal.

One other extramely important factor is stack sizes. If one stack is very small, you can actually steal quite a bit because players will want to see you bust the small stack and will not want to be eliminated before the money. Additionally, being caught on a steal with a hand like J9s is not too bad if your opponent can only take 30% of your stack anyways.

For example, If I have 1800 in level 5 and it is folded to me on the button holding J9s. The SB and BB have about 600 each. I will push this. It is a steal and I do not want a call. the two small stacks will be trying to outlast each other so I do not expect a call, but even if they find a hand like AK, I am not horribly behind. If one calls and wins, there is still a much shorter stack at the table.

When discussing this once before, trying to define steal-type hands, another poster on here made what I considered a very important comment.

'It all depends on how likely I am to be called'

This is very true and your estimate of this should play a huge part in these decisions.

Regards
Brad S