Thread: River
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: River

Hand 1: I checked, he checked. MHIG. I wasn't sure what to make of the turn raise, as the paired card and flop 2 flush seemed a likely bluff/semi-bluff. I intended on calling down, then improved and debated leading/check-raising but would hate a raise or 3-bet, so I checked.

Hand 2: I whiffed the flop check-raise. The river question is kinda dumb in retrospect as the lack of a flop bet makes me think there isn't much chance he will bluff the river. I have been spewing chips after 3-betting small pairs from the blinds lately, and as this guy was a tighter than normal preflop riaser, I though I would see a flop and proceed. I bet the river and he folded.

Hand 3: I really wanted to 3-bet but the low postflop aggression factor scared me. He had AQ. I feel uncomfortable raisng from the sb with 2 limpers, I think I would like AJs (maybe ATs), TT, KQs, AQo (maybe AJo) to raise here.

Hand 4: I bet and he had Ax. The guy was fairly aggressive and there is a missed flush draw, so I thought about inducing a bluff and avoiding a river raise (in blind battles weird stuff happens), but then again it was a headsup blind battle so I could more reasonably see him calling down with worse than an A or QJ. Had I open raised and been called by the button I think I like check-call a bit more, but once again the value bet / induce a bluff debate seems more academic because my opponents seem to be playing fairly passively postflop, especially on the river. I feel guilty for just pounding, it feels like ABC auto-pilot and not giving due consideration to other options, but the more I think about checking, the less I think inducing a bluff is a viable option with a decent hand like top or often second pair.

Hand 5: This is stupid too, but was meant to kinda work with hand 4 in that I feel I just pound and don't think enough about inducing bluffs. I posted this kinda late and somehow missed the presence of the all-in guy, I for some misguided reason was under the impression this was headsup, in which case a river check becomes a more plausible option, generally speaking. BOO me for having a day job and feeling tired at 4:15AM. Plus the fact that an aggro guy would have popped the turn with a flush or A or even a semibluff, and a passive won't bet here, so bet is obvious in without the all-in, IMO. I did, he mucked, I beat the all-in.

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment.