View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Might have been a bad call w/AJ suited - Stars $10 rebuy

Stars $10 rebuy with 45 players left and blinds at 2000/4000. I have 82000 which is about average when it is folded to me in middle position where I raise to 12000 with AJ suited. The guy next to me barely has me covered and pushes all-in. I call and whiff on the board and lose to his pocket KK.

I can kind of rationalize this call since he could be reraising with a medium pocket pair but thinking about it more it would be more likely for him to have AK/AQ or QQ/JJ. Would anyone play AA or KK the way he did? He would pick up a nice pot if I fold.

I misread the fact that he could have a huge hand partly because he was new to the table (a mistake on my part) and I had not been able to see any of his hands. I had been stealing regularly from all positions at this table and it may have been a mistake to call since I could have easily stolen a few blinds and made up for the fold.

I had been hitting my flops though and I decided in this instance that it was worth the risk to double up and be top 15 in chip count and have a great shot at the final table. Would anyone else make this call?