Thread: Who Shuffles?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Who Shuffles?

[ QUOTE ]

Three people are involved in the the shuffle/cut/deal process:

Person to the dealers LEFT shuffles the cards. He then passes them over to the person on the dealers RIGHT, who then cuts them onto the cut card. The dealer then picks up the deck and deals the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exaclty what my favorite local tournament does. We have 2 decks, red & blue. We also have a yellow cut card.

Let's say the 1st hand of the night is being played. The big Blind is shuffling the other deck as the hand is played. The hand ends. Dealer places all unused cards in the muck pile, but keeps the yellow cut card. Big blind passes the shuffled deck to the dealer, who inserts the yellow cards, and finishes the cut (with the yellow card on the bottom). Dealer (old hand) now plasses the ready deck to the new dealer who begins the hand.

As all this is happening, Big Blind is collecting the previously used cards and the process repeats.

I love this simply because the new dealer never shuffles a card nor sees the bottom card. The deck can be lifted off teh table for dealing, since the bottom card is covered.

It also really keeps the game moving.

I play in 4 or 5 differnet home games a month, ironically they all have differnet rules for who shuffles.

My favorite was a tournament where they insisted on using a dealer button without a "set" dealer. There was no need for the button and all it did was confuse people. Is it that hard to conclude that the guy with the deck in his hand is the dealer?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]