View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: How much worse can I play this???

[ QUOTE ]
"Add in the fact that you are subject to a 4-bet"

yeah but how easy is that laydown when you get 4 bet? super easy, it's like the guy turned his cards face up. and AJ is less combos isnt cause there's a J out there. but im not gonna do the math cause i get your point. just thought it was worth throwing out there, maybe it's the wrong play, ill defer to you on anything party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 3-bet is "wrong" enough, mathematically speaking, that you'd need some sort of tell to make it worthwhile. I'd be willing to stake money on the fact that mike l., if he were presented with this situation one million times at the commerce, would make money on this 3-bet, but that's because he'd know exactly which players were capable of raising with KK and QQ and also might be able to observe something from the betting action. Online, I can't see the 3-bet making you money.

Also, as crazy as it sounds, I do think you give up something by folding to the 4-bet. There are times - too many, probably - where I make a raise-and-fold-to-a-reraise type play in the Party 15/30 and out of frustration or multitabling-induced absentmindedness or some sixth sense about my opponent, decide to call the reraise anyway. I'm surprised at the number of opponents who are willing to make desperation type reraises in those spots. That doesn't necessarily mean that calling is correct, but if the pot is laying you 12:1, and he 4-bets with a worse hand one time in twenty, you do give up something by folding, if there was another course of action you could have taken (just calling the initial raise) that would not have put you in that position.