View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Soft-pedalling KK against maniac?

Since your opponent was the type of maniac that would release his hand when hopelessly behind in the face of resistance, your plan makes sense. It'd be nice to get an additional raise in, but he has to have enough to call either your turn or river check-raise. If you get it in on the turn, he'll call if he still has a chance, but he may then fold to your river bet if he doesn't improve. If you get it in on the river, he'll fold then. Either way, you win the same (so long as you do win). (And he'll also probably call on the river with something marginal, in either case.)

And, in either case, if he has more than enough to keep playing, you may get 3-bet.

One good strategy (when holding a strong hand) against opponents who love to bluff-raise but will then fold when hopelessly behind if 3-bet is to lead every street (and then call the raise).

If this maniac would only bet when he felt in control and then would sometimes quickly release, then I'd check-raise the river, like you planned to (because at least then you can see all the cards before deciding for certain to make the check-raise, and at least then you don't have to worry about him folding to you on the turn), and I'd hope he had enough to call but not enough to beat me.

But, given the board on the river, I can see why you didn't carry through with your plan.