View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Bad time for a slow play?

I have a personal dislike for slowplaying anything unless I flop quads, or a very unobvious straight on a rainbow board.
That being said, I'd probably bet the straight to build the pot, whereas if I have the deck emptied with my quads I'll lay low.

I am of the opinion that when you slow play you give away the strength of your hand when you "wake up" on a later street and you scare your opponent away. (this is not always true, but mostly true)

With strong hands I prefer to build a pot from the flop on, so that my opponent feels tied to the pot and will call down to the end, or entice them to come over top of me on a later street.

In this case the pot is 5000, you have 5000. You can either bet it all now, or make a weak bet hoping he comes over top.

IMO the pot is big enough on the flop to want it now and you push.

Checking just allows him to improve for free and this is a dangerous board and while you have a great hand, its not the nuts and many cards are scare cards here, and you are going to get your chips in there anyhow.

A good rule of thumb is any two broadway cards on board gives a straight draw to your opponent (some go down to the 9 with this rule) and of course any two suited gives a flush draw.

On this board you have both draws and givien the pot size and your stack size, you have 1 bet to make.

All that being said, he probably calls and sucks out on you, but at least you don't feel dumb afterwards. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy