View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Wireless internet on my laptop

Ok, here's some real information. There are two options for wireless networking. The first is 802.11, the same as used in a home networking. Your laptop already supports this. Any internet cafe or starbucks will have this kind of service usually. For starbucks wireless, you have to pay a monthly fee, like $30 i believe. With this kind of wireless service, you are limited to "hotspots." Hotspots are just that: certain spots where the wireless access point covers. Internet on these kinds of hotspots is generally provided by a DSL or Cable or T1 connection so they are high speed. A search on 80211 hotspots can show you either free or pay hotspots in your area.

The other alternative is cellular service. The "high-speed" service offered now by companies like ATT and Cingular (in some markets) is called 3g (for 3rd generation). It is not *that* high speed, and it's insanely expensive (like $80 per month). AND, you have to buy a new phone for it (like 2-300). Oh, and that $80 does not include any voice calls either. This is new technology for the US (w/n the last year or so) so it is outrageously expensive.

At this point I would go for the wireless hotspots. They are not too hard to find (in the seattle area at least) and are usually high speed, and often free (unless it's at a place like starbucks).

Freakin