View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Hand 1 and Hand 2

I actually think it was you, Phil, who likened me to Helmuth, so I guess I'll have to reply and field this one...

Here is why you must call him all-in: The flop leaves way too many possibilities for him to push with a weaker holding. If, as I said in a past post, he is one of those RARE players that would only put in a raise like that w/ AA,KK, or AK AND the flop was something like AT6 or KT6 AND he is tight enough that he would only push like that with the nut set, then you could lay this down. Note that these conditions are RARELY satisfied and you would have to know this person pretty well to make such a judgement call. However, in this situation he could have many other hands; specifically AA,AK or KQ and maybe even AQ (I don't really know this guy). On the flip side, he bet out considerably, you came over the top considerably and there was a cold caller. Then he goes all-in. Whoaa - warning lights would be flashing away. Against many players at this level you could still safely call, yet this re-raise stinks - I honestly do think that he has a higher set or maybe A's. Definately worth a call but I'm starting to think that you lost this pot...

First hand, though - terrible play. Most players with EXACTLY QJ would not play like this and that is the only likely hand that you are losing to. I think he has a set and is protecting against the st8 or flush. You should have called, or more preferably, pushed on the flop.