Old 10-26-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Folding AA on 3rd street

[ QUOTE ]
Playing NL .5/1. stud on Prima.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. NL stud. Saucy.

[ QUOTE ]
I get dealt As 5h Ac

The bring in is directly to my left and brings in with a duece.

Villain raises minimum after 2 callers to 1.5 with xxAh

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems strange to me. If he's a crafty player he might be raising the to build the pot with a drawing hand. But he's probably not. On the other hand I've been told that min-raising is a common strong tell online, so maybe this screams aces.

[ QUOTE ]
1 caller to me and I raise to 2.5 (my 5's are live)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but that sucks. The small raise here sacrifices all the advantages of raising while retaining all the disadvantages. You're giving him a chance to put you in the worst possible position...

[ QUOTE ]
Villan reraise to 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which, of course, he does.

[ QUOTE ]
He has 22 left over after this raise and I cover him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you call, there's about one pot-size bet left to be made. I'm assuming the original caller folded, by the way. The 'nice' thing here is that you have a rather simple decision here, because calling commits the rest of your stack; you don't need to worry about implied or reverse-implied odds. You are, essentially, risking $30 to win $50 here if you call (any hand that's worth a call will be worth a call on fourth, barring very weird things... and it seems that the money's gonna get in there no matter what. Check-check would almost certainly be a big mistake of some sort by someone.) From what other posters tell me, you don't have the odds if you put him on aces with a good kicker. Aces with a random kicker, and you might have to push or call (I'd be tempted to use my position here on later streets.)

[ QUOTE ]
I fold. Should I be folding this with a terrible kicker card? Would probably push with a 10 or better if my kicker was live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's probably a good fold. I'd probably also raise all-in with a good kicker, barring a better read on my opponent. Against the standard online opponent I'm putting him on a near-random kicker; for that reason I think a call here is almost justified, though your fold can hardly be criticized.