View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Internet Texas Hold\'em: Poker Concepts II (pg 51-72)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, thinking about it, I think his reasons can be boiled down to two scenarios. Reasons 1 and 2 apply to good, made hands -- you want to get money in there if you likely have the best hand without much draw, and also want to force draws to make a mistake by calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thought I'd address this statement. This really isn't that correct. There are very few situations in the hold em games that you will find online where a player is making a mistake by calling with a flush draw or OESD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice post, except for your premise. He said "draw", you said "flush draw or OESD". There are many kinds of draws, and many of them should not be continued. Occasionally, flush draws should not even be continued, but there are much weaker draws than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that there are other draws, this was merely to show how in many situations this concept is incorrect, and since generally when you say draw these are the two that come to mind first, I felt I'd expand on these. Had he said weaker draws his statement would have been more correct, but merely putting out the generic statement of draws causes a concept that is correct at some times and incorrect at others to be applied to all, that is what I was trying to clear up.

As far as your comment on flush draws, circumstances under which you shouldn't continue on your flush draw on the flop are rare, and pretty much never considering the large multiway pots that make up most online games.