View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Strategy: Blind Defense

[ QUOTE ]
Good question, but kind of open-ended. How is he playing other than when in the SB? How are you playing other than that? What does he do if you call – fire on any flop or give up?

Personally, if the BB to my small blind has Pokertracker #s showing his VPIP <15% or so with the rest of the table being looser, or he’s <12% or so, I’ll start raising with any two cards until he tells me to stop (by calling or reraising me). And its profitable, as I only need it to work 3 of 4 times to make money.

So a BB who only calls with his best 20% of hands here will lose in the long run to me. In fact, if he only calls with the best 30% of hands I’ll probably win since I’ll win 30% of the time when he does call.

So start calling with hands like KTs, 22, A3o, etc. Or bluff-raise with them.

--Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this post.

Reason being - it doesn't matter whether SB shows aggression on the flop or beyond, in too many cases where I play my typical game I'm folding FAR too much, and he shows instaneous profit, regardless if he ever bets again. (Much like in limit shorthanded, someone who raises on button w/ any two and autobets the flop, against some opponents it doesn't matter what your hand is, this is +EV!)

The reason this is open-ended is really is it best to fight back with mediocre cards, or just give away the BB and dont let his aggression bother you.

It seems when I fight back with medium cards I lose a bit more money then I should. So: What are the best cards to fight back? Keep in mind I will obviously play any hand I normally would, so the question is what others should I add.

You say bluffraise with hands like KTs, 22, etc. Does this mmean preflop? It's tough to play a double raised pot with 22 when the flop hits threeovercards, and now potsize is like 25$ or so and they lead into you. Anyways, thanks for the replies!