View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Your Thoughts Please....

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking that it is the school board's responsibility to notify the public, typically via an ad in the paper. It is my contention that the board members wanted the election notice to not appear in the main newspaper. I wrote a letter to the editor of the bigger newspaper which was published yesterday in the Sunday edition. Hopefully this will stir up some protest and get the ball rolling toward a resolution. I have already received several phone calls in support of my letter to the editor. I am hoping that the school board will respond and eventually the election can be nullified.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it is more likely that your contention is wrong and the that school board followed the proper procedure.

I live in the Atlanta, GA area. And yes, organizations need to run "ads" announcing legal notices, meetings, bank foreclosures, estate auctions, events, etc. Unfortunately for your situation, they are only required to run the ad in the newspaper that is designated at the "legal paper" for your county. Most of the time, the "legal paper" is not typically the city newspaper or the popular paper.

In Atlanta's case, the main paper is the Atlanta Journal Constitution. It's circulation is 460,000 during the week and 620,000 on Sunday. You won't find these type of notices in the AJC though. Instead, they must, by law, be published in the Fulton COunty Daily Report. Circulation = less than 16,000.

Bottom line: if the school board followed proper produre (i.e. gave the proper notice to the public) you may be S.O.L.

One last thought: If you get pulled over for going 55 mph in a 35 mph zone, you will not win on a defense that you didn't see the signs where they were posted.