View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Your Thoughts Please....

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your regular newspaper dropped the ball. After all, it's supposed to look for things like this, right? There was probably discussion of this at the local board meeting and a notice on a wall somewhere. Your paper should at least be reading the notices in the smaller papers.

There's probably some statutory requirement requiring a notice of election to be published in a paper with "general circulation," or something similar. Unless your paper is sympathetic with the bond measure, I'd complain to the it and urge it to pay for an attorney (who would actually represent some sort of ad hoc committee of voters) to review the issue of notice, see if there's any grounds for challenging the election. You can also undo the damage if an alternative slate of school board members are elected later, something that should loom as a reasonably likely prospect to the incumbent board.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking that it is the school board's responsibility to notify the public, typically via an ad in the paper. It is my contention that the board members wanted the election notice to not appear in the main newspaper. I wrote a letter to the editor of the bigger newspaper which was published yesterday in the Sunday edition. Hopefully this will stir up some protest and get the ball rolling toward a resolution. I have already received several phone calls in support of my letter to the editor. I am hoping that the school board will respond and eventually the election can be nullified.