View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 05:03 PM

Default a river beat - no limit tourney - curious

my bad beat for the week:

i was down to the last 3 tables at a 30 table no limit $40 tourney recently with $1500 in chips (second to the chip leader at my table). i raised the bb bet ($100) to $400 on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and was called by the small blind, the chip leader.

heads up, the flop came j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

a modest $200 bet was made to me. i should say that i had just being re-tabled and had to deal with a big chip leader, knowing nothing about his style. i went all-in with my remaining chips, putting him in another $800 (about a third of his stack). i knew i had him beat with my top pair, and as he turned over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] i felt vindication. then came 4 and 5 to make his straight and all i could do was stumble away.

i kept telling myself that the chip leader made the wrong play, but im not so sure. i keep second guessing going all in like i did, but honestly, i think id would have been the same outcome either way. my friend has suggested it was a risky bet for me being so close to being in the money (final table)... oh well.