View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Going into the Tamburello Corner at 200 mph

"Why are most poker players liberal?"

When I started reading (and participating in) the Other Topics forum, I was struck by the seeming prevalence of stubbornly and arbitrarily held pro-Bush positions, posted by the majority of posters here. I thought, if this is indeed an Advantage Players' forum, there seems to be a clear discrepancy between their thinking when it comes to poker and when it comes to politics.

You could say that poker is far more important than politics. And you would be right! Which would leave the thinking of those pro-Bush advantage players pretty much alright, after being properly weighed between politics and the important stuff...

I must say that the occasional John Feeney post or a long Chris Alger diatribe (usually drawing extreme abuse, which was even more puzzling) did not alter my view on the posters here: good poker thinking, Neanderthal politics.

But then came some polls on political affairs, which drew out of the woodwork the "silent majority" of lurking poker players and the liberals stomped their way to Other Topics supremacy. Alright! No more discrepancy! I started to read this forum for something beyond appearances: The real Advantage Players are mostly lurking here, observing the "table". They are lurking in order to watch erroneous thinking in action, to experience "players" on extreme tilt (and identify key words and phrases inducing it), to learn about verbal back-and-forth, etc. Yes, that must be it. My faith in 2+2 was restored.

...But wait a minute! This makes those people who post here more or less on a regular basis the rubes, the suckers, the marks of this “game”. One of whom is, ouch, ouch, me!

Poobah and carpal tunnel my ass. This sucks.