View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 10:49 AM

Default AA gets C/R\'d on the turn -- what to do?

Hi, all.

This hand is meant to illustrate a wider question about aggression, and whether it's appropriate to keep on being aggressive into the face of aggression from your opponents in online low limit ganes.

I've been playing 2/4 for some weeks now (small sample size, I know, but bear with me) and I've been trying to keep some records on what a turn raise or a river 3-bet, etc., usually mean coming from typical Party 2/4 players. In the hand below, I have AA and play it as you would expect. Then, on the turn I get check-raised. I think that a while back, under the influence of a poor reading of Ed Miller, I would have 3-bet the turn here, putting the other guy on something like AK (which is plausible). However, my note-taking on what turn raises usually mean indicated that the guy was around 80% likely to be holding two pair or trips -- the average 2/4 player is pretty passive postflop and when they wake up and C/R you it means they have the goods much more often than not. So I went immediately into check-call mode.

Is this wrong? Is a recent bad run of cards making me fear monsters under the bed in a very -EV way? I'd particularly welcome any general comments people have on what they've found different bets and raises to indicate on Party 2/4 (no doubt the meaning of a turn raise is much different at 5/10 or 15/30).

Thanks for your input.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>