View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: My only problem with Poker

I've had similar feelings and have additional personal concerns. Taking money from fish: is that fun? something to be proud of? socially destructive?

Background: I began playing alot during my spare time, mostly online, about 14 months ago. I enjoyed the game, especially learning and improving. I won a good amount ($14-15K) over the first 8 months, lost 60% back over the next 2, then made a slight recovery.

As I studied more and read this an other forums, I started to question what I was doing. To win, I'm supposed to find easy games with lots of fish. Don't get me wrong, they're adults (hopefully) and responsible for themselves. But what about me? Basically it comes down to this:

weak players = bored, somewhat ashamed and maybe a little socially destructive

equal opponents = more fun, but we exchange chips while the house rake chips away at us

better players = I usually lose but have the most fun (but only at high limits = costs $$)

I think I've reached a level where I'd have to commit a lot more time to get significantly better. Don't have that much time or interest. Don't get me wrong, like most, I'm no Albert Schweitzer, but I can't think dedicating that much time to poker helps society or makes me a better person.