View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Largest NL hand for me so far....HELP!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Reraise preflop to 30 or 35. If he calls, make about a pot sized bet on the flop or even push. The pot is already big enough and you want to take it down right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you missed my point, or you thought it wasn't important.

The limp-reraise screams AA/KK. If he knows what you have and you don't know what he has, then he has all the implied odds and you have none. Therefore, your reraise has to be big enough that he can't afford it, even with implied odds.

If the opponent calls the reraise to $30, he still has $140 left to play with. However, with your approach -- that is, putting the wedding ring on your finger -- the opponent can call your bet for $20 more, he knows EXACTLY what you have, and he stands to win $180 if he can beat you. You, on the other hand, have no idea what he has, so you have to go all in. You've already stated that you do not have any way to get away from these aces.

That's why I think it is better, at this 85-90 BBs range of stack size, just to bet out with the aces. If you are going to limp-reraise, do it for a big overbet, more like $50 over his $10 bet. Sure, you've told him what you have, but he doesn't have odds to do anything about it. If he routinely calls these, then he wins $180 one time in six, let's say, and you win $60 five times in six, for a nice profit for you.

At the raise to $30, he wins $180 one time in six, and you win $30 five times in six, for a small profit for him, and more gray hairs for you.

Another alternative is if you sometimes make the limp-reraise with other hands. If he can't reliably put you on AA when you limp reraise, it cuts down his implied odds significantly. This doesn't mean that you should be doing it constantly. It just means that half of the times you limp-reraise, it is with a hand other than AA/KK. Note that you don't get those very often, so you should not be pretending to have them very often, either. However, our hero already said that he had not yet fought back against the theft of his limps, so we can assume that the opponents probably know he is tight.