View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Largest NL hand for me so far....HELP!!!

Preflop: Raise! Limp-Reraise is OK, too, though it defines your hand so well that you want it pretty well over with by there. Your stack is deep enough that it won't be, so you should just bet out. (On the other hand, if you are quite sure of the raise, then you can always limp-reraise huge. They know what you have at this point, but there's nothing they can do about it.)

The point of playing your aces the way you did is that you are sure you can outplay your opponent post-flop. To be blunt, you ain't there yet.

Flop: Your bet is fine. He check-called, which should immediately put up two warning flags.

Flag 1. What draws might he be on? AK/AQ/KQ are the most obvious ones that might also have raised preflop. However, AK/AQ are such thin draws, they would probably bet out looking to take it right there, so KQ is exactly the hand I put him on, if it's a draw.

Flag 2. What monster hands could he be slowplaying? TT and JJ both would have made that preflop raise. JT might slowplay here, but probably wouldn't have raised preflop. So I also include TT and JJ in the list of hands he might have.

This is a horrible situation, because in one case you need an ace, and in the other, you don't want to see it. The only board you'll be really happy with has AA or A6 for the last two cards, and that's pretty darn unlikely. OK, now that your warning flags are in position, let's head for the turn.

Turn, a blank: Note that, if he has KQ, he is drawing pretty thin, because you hold two of his outs. On the other hand, if he has a set, you don't want to bet into the check-raise that is coming. I would check behind.

River: An ace! Hooray! Or maybe ick. He checks. Note that the pot would be a lot smaller if you had checked behind on the turn. You would bet and he would come over the top. It would hurt, but you would be able to lay it down. But, if you had checked behind on the turn, there is very little chance he would try for a check-raise on the river. He would probably have bet out, and you just call it and then curse your foul luck, but you've still just lost a medium-small pot. Not quite as good as if you had made a huge turn bet and he laid it down, but a whole lot better than losing your whole stack.