View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 04:17 AM

Default Re: You guys keep telling me to play faster . . .

Well maybe you are one of the few exceptions but most of the time a check-raise means a strong hand. I'm not so sure if check-raising with buttom pair is the right action very often. Betting out is a better action most of the time I think. It's true that check-raising is a very strong move and because it means monster a lot of the time I don't want to tell that to them. That's why I would prefer betting out with a lot of hands and 3-betting with strong draws and strong hands. You also don't risk giving a free card although most of the time the PFR will bet out. An other disadvantage is that when you check-raise the flop, most of the time that will kill your action on the turn. But when you bet out and 3-bet you do get action because they think you have top pair but not a monster because they would never play a monster this way. So you get more money on the flop most of the time, you disguise your hand better, you keep them guessing, you don't risk giving a free card and you get more action on the turn. When you check-raise with a wide range of hands that's fine but because of the reasons I gave above, I prefer betting and 3-betting a lot of the time. At the end you said "It just seems a waste to not use the knowledge that a bet is almost certainly coming to advantage." Just try and see how often you will be raised and take advantage from that. Check-raising just because it's a strong move doesn't make it the best action. Of course you should check-raise a lot too but with a set I prefer playing it fast.

Thanks,

Guido