View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Stupid, stupid stupid

I know what you mean. "bad" play gets rewarded and "good" play doesn't. Where's the justice in that? and then to have the "winner" start talkin' smack. That would set me right off, and I'd probably do something fairly to incredibly stupid in short order.

I was watching the WSOP Tournament of Champions, and something Annie Duke said struck a chord.

"Professional pokerplayers control their emotions" or words to that effect. As in, I think, not the other way around.

When I'm playing in a tournament and feel things getting to me, I distract my self for the first 3 or 4 levels with something else, fold everything but the cream of starting hands and review the hand history from each hand to get a feel for how they're playing. Keeps me from having to suffer watching the bad guys win. Puts a buffer between me and the immediacy of pain, as it were.

So, about the hand, I would have either folded to the flop re-raise or, if I was "feelin' lucky" called it and check-folded the turn when I didn't hit the flush. I'm hoping I would have folded though, because drawing to a hand that isn't the nuts is one of the many roads to poker hell. Or, at least, the rail...

"Don't be distracted by pretty" Dad told me once.

He wasn't talking about poker, but it still applies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,

Gar