View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Re: how to solve certain problems with the ICM (an algorithm)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response!

I think I understand very little of what is actually going on in that thread [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

So, if the difference in the two numbers is .1 then that would be a +$1EV in a 10+1 game? But if there is a difference of .01 then it is only +$.1EV and almost surely insignificant?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I was a bit inconsistent and sometimes used % and sometimes left it as a decimal. A difference of .1 is the same as a difference of 10% of the prize pool, which is huge. $10 in a 10+1 game. A difference of .1% is the same as a difference of .001; this is far too close for the model to be helpful. $0.10 in a 10+1 game.

Remember that ICM calculator link gives you a fraction of the prize pool. The prize pool for a 10+1 game is $100. So if it says 1600 chips have a $EV of .1844, that means $100*.1844 = $18.44 in a 10+1 game.

I don't really know how big the difference needs to be for the decision to be clear. I'd say a difference of .002 or less is almost certainly too close, and a difference of .05 is almost certainly enough to be clear in most cases.

Hope that clears up some confusion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]