View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Sometimes Results Are Hard To Divorce

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that he had some sort of tell on you that indicated you were planning on check-raising? This is one of those things that I'm slightly paranoid about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anythings possible but this guy was unknown and only played with me two orbits (and I wasn't involved in pots either) so a tell is unlikely, although now that I play more NL I'm more worried about giving off tells.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, absent such knowledge, his check on the flop is obviously bad. But I've *sometimes* seen this play used by opponents to good effect, particularly if they have generally been very aggressive. The flop check is confusing enough that it very often nets them *two* free cards. I've sometimes found myself checking the turn in this spot with an okay made hand like middle pair, figuring that the opponent either has nothing or something very strong, and I'm best off checking and calling either way. Lo and behold, my opponent will wind up taking another free card, and beating me some percentage of time on the river. Mind you, I think the check-and-call in that spot is usually correct; my opponent has penalized himself by sacrificing his folding equity on the flop and the free card is his reward if he chooses to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

~ Rick