View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Thank you for disconnecting me, PartyPoker!

[ QUOTE ]
you should be pissed that you missed out on that great +EV situation

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever cards came out is irrelevant and that's the last thing you should be thinking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thank god for PartyPoker's mediocre software.

Wrong.

Aside: Did I really save $200? That is, does PartyPoker set the order of the deck at the start of the hand and leave it as such, or does it constantly shuffle the remaining cards? Thanks.

It is irrelevant. You should be pissed off about missing out on a hugely +EV situation. On average, every time you get $100 in as a 4:1 favorite, you'll win $60 [(4*$100 - 1*$100)/5]. Party cost you $60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, thanks so much for assuming I don't understand EV. Made my day.

[ QUOTE ]
Party cost you $60.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes and no. EV is an extremely useful tool, but it's hardly the only valid way of thinking about a situation. From the perspective of someone trying to analyze a decision, either before or after the fact, it's clearly best to think in terms of EV. On the other hand, being happy or unhappy about the actual (not expected) results of a particular hand is perfectly valid.

Saving $200 because of dumb luck, then being upset about it because you lost some EV preflop, through no fault of your own, is clearly missing the forest for the trees. The time to be upset about my losing +EV was before I knew an unfavorable board was imminent . . . and I was.