View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods Act I&II

I have played the ACT I eleven times and the ACT II six times, and will play my first ACT III later tonight.

The play at the ACT I level is definitely beatable, especially considering that you only have to finish in the top three to advance. Generally there will be 2-3 people who exit the game rather quickly by losing all in bets, so I avoid big risks early unless I am very confident that I have the best of it.

Raises are typical 3-4x BB, with post flop betting varying a bit but in general are nothing out of the ordinary in terms of NL, and plenty of due respect for raises and re-raises in terms of people laying down their marginal hands pre-flop. You will see the occasional non-raised pot going into the flop, so speculative hands are sometimes worth a look.

You can expect to see quite a range of variance in terms of the skill level of the different players at the table, so be sure to give yourself enough time to recognize the easier targets. Between the early all in losers and the "easier targets", a solid style mixed with picking my spots for an occasional steal and a few good cards usually do the trick. Consider this when deciding when to play your ACTs: The level of play in the ACT I is noticably improved when the games are coming off one of the weekly $100/$150 tournaments. These games will quickly fill up with decently skilled and properly warmed players and will be tougher than playing during the day, or on Fri/Sat/Sun(no non-ACT tournaments during these days). If your schedule allows, I find the best time to play and advance is the weekend.

All ACT I's I have played in, save one, were completed in less than one hour.

Players will start with $1000 in chips, with 4 green 25s and 9 grey 100s.

On to ACT II- here you will be up against noticeably tougher opponents, generally speaking. It's hard to put it into words without just saying that "it's tougher than ACT I by a factor of 2"... shrug.

The ACT tables are in what they refer to as the "foyer" of the poker room; just look up for the high ceiling with the decorative glass flowers(really big), a giant skylight, and the tables using grey($100) and green($25) tournament chips, and you're in the right area. It is separeted from the main poker room by some lesser table games and a few craps tables. Generally there is a clipboard list for Act II which can be found somewhere in the area, and sometimes also for Act I(although mostly Act I is FCFServe with no list). Near the foyer you will see the "Tournament Registration" counter which is generally unmanned and unused unless they are setting up for one of the aforementioned weekly tournaments; this counter is NOT used for ACTs. However, on this counter you will see that they have several booklets available on the WPT WPF, Foxwoods tournament rules, etc.

You will NEED a Wampum card(Foxwood's player's club card/comp card) which takes about two minutes to get once you make it through the line. Also, hold onto the receipt you are given once they take your money, as sometimes they will want proof you were in the game you claim you were in to get your advancement coupon, should you win.

I can't speak to ACT III as tonight will be my first.

Hope this will be of some help, if you have any more specific questions I will keep an eye on this thread.