View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Drawing Hands and Pot Odds

[ QUOTE ]
So when you do your pot odds calculations on the flop, you should be doing it only with THE TURN IN MIND.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely, you must take into account the fact that two cards are coming to *some* degree. Consider the following (somewhat extreme) example: I'm playing a small stakes 1/2 game 10 handed. I'm in the big blind with A2s (say hearts are my suit). By some strange twist of fate (several rounds of limp-reraising, for instance), I get roped into seeing the flop for 4 bets. (Or maybe I'm just a horrible pre-flop player.) But more than that, everyone else calls, so there's $40 in the pot on the flop.

Now let's suppose the flop comes K 8 4, rainbow, the 8 is a heart. My only reasonable chance is the backdoor flush draw. The SB checks, I check, UTG bets, and everyone calls. It's up to me to close the action and I'm getting pot odds of 49-1.

Now, let's use the phrase "pot odds theory (POT)" to refer to the science of computing pot odds *on the flop* and using it to make a decision. If POT can only take the turn card into account, then POT tells me to fold. But that's ridiculous. Any "correct" POT has to conclude that calling is the right decision here. So "correct" POT must take the river card into consideration in *some* way. The question is, how?