View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Does this sound like cheating to you!?!?!

ok folks, i'm not sure how much the burn question actually got answered, so i'll adress that and the empty seat question.

Burn Cards: Forget anything about any postion of any card in the deck. They are all random untill exposed or dealt to a player. The reason you burn a card just before flipping a community card, is so that the deck will not effect any of the betting. For example, assume there was no burning. Say you have Kh 2h and the flop comes jh 3c 5h. One opponent makes a large bet, and you stop to consider your next move. You look at the deck and see the top card has a crease in the upper left corner. You remember from earlier that you accidentally creased the Ace of hearts when you lost with it earlier. You now know, before having to call, that you will turn the nut flush. With a burn card, you may know what card is not coming up (say you notice the burn is going to be that ace) but you can't tell ahead of time what will be coming up. That is the sole reason for burning a card each time you turn over community cards.

Dealing to an Empty Seat: You must always deal to an away player, because that player may come back at any time. This also makes sure that each player around the table recieves their proper card (even though they're all random) If an away player comes back before the action is on him/her and they are automatically check/folded, they may sit and pick up their hand and play it. You can choose not to be dealt in if you say so when you leave, but it disqualifies you for any table wide bad beat jackpots at live poker rooms. The only advantage you have to telling the dealer not to deal you in, is that the game will go faster for those who are still seated.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helped

Mark "Riverboat Willie" Nelson