View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Is this the best way to begin to learn Hold\'em? New Players Log

2200 Hand Update: I lose at playing and make money at bonuses.

Finished the bonus at Paradise. I earned $100 bonus and lost about $25 so I'm up $75 from Paradise. I took the money from Paradise. To take advantage of their new 50% deposit matching bonus I made a deposit on Ultimate Bet. It seems really clunky to get the hand histories into PokerTracker from Ultimate Bet. I played at the lowest stakes I could work off the bonus at 25/.50 Limit. I lost at Ultimate bet. I'm not sure why... Maybe having a VP$IP > 60% had something to do with it. I played only HEPFAP class 5 hands or better, but I think I stayed too long with them. I really need to improve my post flop game.

I put my tail between my legs and ran to Pacific. Home of the oceans of fish. I entered a $2+.20 No Limit SNG and came in 4th earning a few bucks (I think $6)

HELP!

I think I’m getting into big trouble since I’m trying to follow the SSH style of play but not applying it correctly. Before I think I was winning by playing very tight and only seeing the flop with Pairs over 77 and AA, AK, AQ. Now I’m seeing way more hands and not knowing what to do with them. Often I’m thumbing through SSh while at the keyboard and trying to find the appropriate section.

Did anyone else find their game went south after reading SSH?

I think I have been trying to change too many things in my game at once so it’s hard to know what to work on.

I went from playing weak very tight to trying to play tight aggressive. So I find I’m seeing the flop a lot more but I don’t have experience to know how to handle the postflop decisions that come up.

For example from page 96 in SSH I don’t understand this play,

One player limps, the next player raises

Starting with Qh, 7h, our hero calls. Everyone folds to the blinds who both call. The limper calls.

On a flop of Jc, 7s, 5h it is checked to the preflop raiser who calls.

Why is re-raising the best option? (I would have folded)
Are you trying the free card play?
I count about 6.5 outs…

Can someone explain why re-raising is the best option?