View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Is this as bad as bad as I think it was?

I agree with previous posters that your bet at the flop looked more like a test shot than one that indicated strength. Your opponent would correctly put you on a draw or a bottom to mid pair here.

His call on the flop, in my opinion, does not give too much information of his hand strength. For all I know, he could be on a draw himself, hit a small piece of the flop or have top pair. Since a blank card hit the turn, you should either check and consider folding to a bet here. Since your flop bet didn't show much strength, I don't think a more aggressive bet here is justified. It's almost impossible to sell that the 3c helped your hand. Your opponent probably figure that if you had made a set on the flop or had an over pair, you'd have been more aggressive given the heart draw on the board. At this point, the villain should have pushed to drive you off the heart draw, which he didn't do.

Given the flop and turn action, I think you made the correct play to check down the river because you really have not shown any strength throughout and almost any sized bet on the river would smell like a bluff attempt. You would only push if you put your opponent on a flush draw as well.