View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Pocket 10\'s, Party $50

your analysis of pot odds in this hand is incorrect, as was my previous statement.

What's important is when the decision to fold was made:
you would have to call 18.5 to win a pot that would be a final size of 86 dollars, your pot odds are therefore much, much better than 2:1, closer to 3.5:1 or 4:1. yes, he may have live outs, but i'd seriously doubt he has more than 20% pot equity here in general. you have no PFR, so thinking "slowplayed AA/KK" is just playing weak poker here, IMHO.

again, i will say that while people will slowplay sets, this pattern is silly with a set; you've given him the indication that you have a strong hand and are willing to play a big pot and he just calls with what is very likely the best hand? people slowplay because they want others to catch something that will pay them off, not just because they have a certain hand. people on party/prima/etc. may be lunatics, but they're not dead. if you're holding top set and someone puts a large portion of their stack in the pot, you don't call, you get the money in there and are happy about it.

I'm honestly shocked that everyone is so convinced this guy has a set here; this has been the stereotypical fishy way to play a failed draw/buy attempt in my experience. I honestly thought you were going to get a deluge of one word responses that said "call" and nothing else.
maybe party's different...

fim