View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 11:44 PM

Default Is this as bad as bad as I think it was?

I played in the 10:00 EST $30+3 large multi-table at party last night, the ones that usually have 1500-1600+ people. About 2 hands before the final table I was at around t103,000 and feeling very good about my chances and then this hand happened. In retrospect I think I played it poorly but also think it is a somewhat common situation, up to a point.

Down to 5 people at our table. I am dealt K9h. BB is t8,000. It is folded to me on the button, I raise it to t20,000 (note: in SNG's I make larger raises but seemed to notice that smaller raises worked well in MTT, maybe I am wrong). I get called by BB.

Flop comes: Qh 7c 4h

Player checks to me and I decide to follow up my pre-flop aggression and bet t20,000 again and player calls again. A blank comes, I think a 3c. Player checks and I decide to fire t20,000 again (note: this is where I really start to fault my play. I think I was just hoping he was going to fold). He calls. River comes another blank, Td or something I think. He checks to me again but I simply check it not wanting to bleed myself any further (do you think an all-in would've worked? I kind've doubt it). He shows AQo for TPTK.

In retrospect I pretty sure most people would be aggressive with 4 to the flush on the flop. But I am not sure if I like my aggression after that. Is this just one of those common scenario's that sometimes pays off the flush well and sometimes pays off TPTK well?

I managed to still get 10th and collect ~$430 in profit but in retrospect I feel this hand cost me some serious $$$ and was wondering just how bad others thought it was (P.S. I am a 'big boy' and can handle harsh critique).

I think the one thing I really failed to do is think about the 'VALUE' of all those chips I was firing in. At t103,000 I am comfortable at the final table and definitely not a small stack but at the same time blinds don't look too paltry. This was only my third large tournament (have placed 51st, 534th, and 10th) and I think I need to learn more about 'chip management'.

Will