Thread: Table Image
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Table Image

I don't think you should waste a single second cultivating a table image, as by, for example, playing 32o under the gun to make people think you are crazy.

I do think the cards will give you a table image whether you like it or not and you need to be aware of what it is. If you get a lot of good cards, you will be in a lot of hands, and people will think you are loose. If you get bad cards, you won't play many hands, and people will think you are tight. Either way you can exploit this to your advantage.

For online play especially, many people don't take notice of who is playing a lot of pots, but they do notice who is raising and betting large amounts. If you get a couple big hands in a row and end up winning the pot uncontested, people will probably think you have been bullying and will be more likely to call. Conversely, if you were forced to show down big hands when you got them, people will tend to think you have the goods, which opens them up to be bluffed.

I think you should just play the cards you are dealt; but people will have an image of you anyway, which doesn't necessarily correspond with how you are actually playing, but is important to take into account nonetheless. That's how I see it.