View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: how good can you be at tournament poker?

[ QUOTE ]
* dan harrington made the final table of the two largest fields in big buyin tournament history, on top of having won the wsop a decade prior. What are his chances of making the final table in 2005, assuming a field of 5000? Say final 10 to simplify the math. The exactly average player's chances are 1/500. What are dan's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any answer is obviously a guess, for all we know Dan's odds of making the final table are 1000/1.

[ QUOTE ]
* I'll let you pick some number of players. If a single one of those players wins a bracelet at the 2005 WSOP, you win the bet. How many players do you need to list before you are a favorite in this bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think the sizes of the tournaments next year is the big unknown that makes it impossible, but I am sure the magic number is more than most think.

[ QUOTE ]
* How much positive equity does the very best player have in whichever currently existing $5K+ tournament you believe has the weakest field? Ignore juice. The exactly average player gets paid back his $X buyin on average. How good is the best? 3X? 5X? 10X? 20X? More?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have no idea, and I don't believe anyone can either. Maybe that was your point.

[ QUOTE ]
* Two tournament players each play 100 large field tournaments. In the end, player A has averaged a profit of 0.5 buyins/tournament and player B has averaged 1.5 buyins/tournament. With what percentage confidence can you say that player B was actually playing with higher EV than player A? Alternately: what line would you place on player B winning more than A over the next 100 tournaments as well? What if B had averaged 3 buyins per tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

This can obviously be calculated, but my stats days are over.