View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Is this the best way to begin to learn Hold\'em? New Players Log

[ QUOTE ]
I figured if I can beat play money games I probably can beat real money games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible assumption, but you're on the right track as far as studying goes.

The best advice I can give is to read and re-read Ed Miller's SSH, and play within your bankroll (have at least 300 BB (big bets, not big blinds) for the limit you're playing).

Pokertracker is a good investment; pay attention to your stats but don't obsess over them.

Don't worry about AQo after 15 hands. Post some hands that you had problems with in the Micro-Limit forum.

Here are some stats that I think are relevant even after a fairly small number of hands.

VP$IP: Most good players are between 12 and 20. This can change depending on how loose/passive/aggressive your games are. At .5/1 on Party, I'm at around 16, but at 1/2, it's more like 13.

PFR: Needs to be at least 6. Preferably 7-9. See the Micro-Limit forum for examples of what hands to raise and when.

VP$IP SB: Don't play any two from the SB just because it's only a quarter. I've heard 35 as a ceiling figure for this stat, but I'm much tighter at around 22.

Good luck, keep studying and posting hands in Micro.