View Single Post
Old 09-15-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: 40/80 Hand I Thought I Played Correctly

I think there's several different lines I would potentially take here depending on how aggressive my opponent was. The preflop flat-call is pretty standard IMO. On the flop I would often checkraise so he would put me on a hand like AJ or a medium pocket pair. If he 3-bets me, I would probably call and checkraise the turn (or maybe wait until the river to checkraise if he can make the lay down) If he flat-called my checkraise I would lead the turn, and hope to get a 3-bet in (unless he was on the tightish/less aggro side.

I think by playing it like you did, you allowed him to credit you with a hand like AA JJ or KK. When you checkraise on the flop (or even lead-3bet for that matter), you make it a lot harder for him to put you on a hand that beats him, and will likely be able to induce excessive action from him.

The way you played it, it was clear to him that you had a hand you felt was slowplay-worthy, so he resorted to just calling down with the overpair rather than raising or reraising with it.