View Single Post
Old 09-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Give Arieh a Break

[ QUOTE ]
When you play an aggressive style like Arieh does I don't think you can really be surprised when people call you with a little bit less than premium, but still good holdings.

Perhaps if Dan Harrington had come over the top of David's 55 he might have reconsidered calling given Dan's tight image.

If he wants to act like an a-hole about it then thats his business and he can deal with the consequences. (IE-people's perception of him.)

-Jarid

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good point. Players like Arieh and Helmuth, seem to think that they can run over a table with impunity, but then are suprised when people relax their calling standards against them. When actually that is the effect they should want, so they can get action on their big hands. What these guys lose sight of, in the heat of the moment, is that their observant opponents have been watching them steal ants and blinds for the last hour or so, so there is some serious consideration to be given to calling a raise with a hand that normally you would not against an average opponent.

For instance, I think the reason Gus Hansen is doing so well on the PSI, is that he has these guys ready to call his raises with any legitimate hand.