Thread: Lame endgame?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Lame endgame?

I think you need to mention what the blinds were in relation to the stack sizes.

Given your read on your opponent's ability and your own as well, your tactic is a sound one. You are removing your opponent's edge postflop by making him put it in or not preflop. Not exactly rocket science and gripping poker, but not a bad idea at all either.

In fact, it's the same strategy Chris Ferguson took to win the WSOP in 2000. He knew his postflop skills did not match T.J. Cloutier and pushed with A9 vs TJ's AQ and won when the 9 came on the river.

You have a commanding lead, and you should be leaning on your 3 to 1 advantage as much as you can. I'd raise all-in any hand that's better than average. Any pair, any A, any K, Q8 or higher.

If your opponent doubles up, then you're even again. Why change your strategy? If you truly don't feel confident in your NL heads-up skills, why reintroduce it again? Just keep hammering preflop and don't show cards. Keep your opponent on edge until the end.

It's your choice whether or not to show cards. I would to weak opponents to condition them into thinking I have strong hands every time I raise, but strong opponents are vastly different. When you start showing cards and then stop, they'll know you are starting to take advantage and adjust accordingly. Never show cards to a strong opponent.

Garland