View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Novice AK in the BB (1-2 NLHE)

So I've been playing small 5 or 10 dollar buyin NLHE Sit n' goes and doing decent. But this is the first time I started playing NLHE in a ring game that isn't micro limit.

I'm playing 1-2 no limit
I'm dealt AKo in the BB.
EP raise to 10. Folded around to cut off who calls. Both players have about 300, same as I do. So I decide to raise to 25 (15 more). I'm not expecting anyone to fold. Flop comes uncoordinated garbage. I bet out 25 or 30 dollars to take it down.

My reasoning for the raise preflop was to enable me to bet into a flop like this (or one that is A or K high) and have a decent chance to kill the pot right there. But I didn't want to raise a huge amount with AK because I didn't want to get involved an a big pot and only have AK.

My question is :: should I have raised more preflop to push out things like 88? Should I never make the "raise..but not enough to make anyone fold" move? On the way home I was thinking that the bet could have proved disastrous because it gave things like 88 a chance to spike pretty cheap. But it also gave me a good chance to take down a pot when no flops anything. I couldn't decide which was the more important factor. What do you think?