View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Tongue Lashings and the Ed Miller Approach

I have seen other posters discuss two effects of the Ed Millerian approach to poker: more money and wider swings. I, too, have noticed these and one other effect: more verbal abuse from my opponents who do not understand what I am doing. Have you noticed this too? My guess is that, to those who have not read SSHE, some of the plays seem counter intuitive. Here is an example of a hand at Pokerroom and the abuse that ensued.

I am in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: 6 limpers to Button who raises. SB and I call, one limper reraises, Button caps, and all call.

Flop (8 players): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise with backdoor flush, gutshot, and to try to get other aces to fold. Limpers fold, CO raises, Button caps, SB and I call.

Turn (4 players): (3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, CO folds, Button raises, SB folds, I call

River (2 players): (3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) A
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, button checks (he has QQ).

And then, the tongue lashing:

The cutoff, who I am guessing had A with a higher kicker calls me the "biggest dumbass he has ever played with."

I reply, "Lucky wasn't I?"

Another player calls me a dumbsh*t for raising with a pair of threes.

I reply: "Defies logic, don't it?"

Another player tells me to leave the table.

The cutoff says I am an idiot.

Another player says, "Or a horribly good poker player."

And I think: Not yet, but hopefully someday with the help of SSHE [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Are you getting tongue lashings too?