Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   the rake in poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=99862)

Ray Zee 07-04-2004 04:42 PM

the rake in poker

since most regular players play at least above average, it follows that the rake is the biggest deternination of why people lose in games. bad players lose to the rake and good players. medium good players tend to go broke after some time as the rake catches up to them and depletes their starting bankroll.
expenses are the main reason more players dont win and the winners dont win alot.
players that put in major hours pay between ten thousand and fifty thousand dollars a year just in rake depending on what and how much they play. you have to win that just to be even. so any cut in the rake adds that amount plus to your bankroll. the plus comes fom additional money that stays on the table instead of dissapearing.

ZeeJustin 07-04-2004 04:52 PM

Re: the rake in poker

Is norake.org paying you for that post?

On a less cynical note, it would be nice to see a rakeless future for online poker. At the same time, PartyPoker is unfortunately far more profitable (for experts and smalltime winners alike) than any low rake alternatives.

Tosh 07-04-2004 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

players that put in major hours pay between ten thousand and fifty thousand dollars a year just in rake depending on what and how much they play. you have to win that just to be even. so any cut in the rake adds that amount plus to your bankroll. the plus comes fom additional money that stays on the table instead of dissapearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

With online poker those numbers are tiny in comparison. I paid 4k in rake over the last 3 weeks of June and I'm sure there are those paying a fair bit more than that.

Inthacup 07-04-2004 04:58 PM

players that put in major hours pay between ten thousand and fifty thousand dollars a year just in rake

With the ease of multitabling, paying 100k a year in rake is fairly easy. I'm sure a few people on these boards pay over 200k.

Cup

TazQ 07-04-2004 05:00 PM

I pay over $50/hr in rake. It sucks.

Schneids 07-04-2004 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a few people on these boards pay over 200k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Most of the 6-8 tablers go skimpy on the hours. I cannot blame them for it, it's very grueling and trying, yet monotonous at the same time.

Losing all 07-04-2004 05:02 PM

Is there a follow up coming? If not thanks for the rake for beginers lesson. Can you explain the small and big blind to me?

Syntax 07-04-2004 05:04 PM

You mentioned "expenses", and I understand that's what drives the rake up in B&M cardrooms. Dealer pay and floor space, etc. How can online cardrooms justify the same rake? They charge that much only because they can. If they charged a higher rake, players would just stick to live play. I believe they could charge a helluva lot less, but they can also get the same $3, so why not?

I wish I could find the overhead day to day cost of operating an online cardroom. I would like to see portion of the rake is actually justified by those expenses.

Homer 07-04-2004 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a follow up coming? If not thanks for the rake for beginers lesson. Can you explain the small and big blind to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is harsh, but completely true.

When I read this post, I was thinking about how this topic has been discussed 100 times, yet this thread will probably get 100 responses since Ray Zee started it.

-- Homer

Losing all 07-04-2004 05:09 PM

It's "justified" in that if you don't like it you can take your business elsewhere. Which at the moment means a single on again, off again 2/4 game at a site that could go belly up at any time.