Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bankroll growth & pulling money out (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=97354)

doubleas 06-25-2004 04:16 PM

Bankroll growth & pulling money out

The point of this post is to learn how others have dealt with this issue and what considerations you think about when balancing poker bankroll with life.

There are two issues in my mind:

1) What considerations do you think about when determining how much money to pull out of your bankroll and put back into your real life? How fast do you want your bankroll to grow versus what you can do with that money if cashed out? The faster your bankroll increases, the sooner you’ll be beating the higher limits for more money per hour (tongue in cheek, so don’t hijack the thread on $/hr/limit).
2) How do you handle putting more down on a hand of poker than you would on a nice dinner out?

My background: I am not a pro, nor do I want to be. I play poker mostly for entertainment. I have had a lot of recent success as I've moved up limits and my bankroll is starting to get big enough to deserve some attention. Although poker is a hobby, the idea of it producing a substantial side income is quite attractive, so I'm debating how I should go about increasing my bankroll faster versus pulling money out as I go.

In the long term, I'd like to play bigger limits with the idea that my hourly rate will increase. This means that I need to grow my bankroll. At some point my bankroll will be larger than I would normally be willing to gamble with, so I'm trying to determine the balancing point at which my bankroll should grow.

The highest limit on UB is $25/$50 NL with a $5K max buy-in. To play in that game, my bankroll would need to be around $100K to make me comfortable. How would one go about choosing between pulling that $100K out and buying something nice or keeping it in your bankroll so you can double your $100K?

I realize that it is heavily dependent on your personality, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Frogger 06-25-2004 04:22 PM

Re: Bankroll growth & pulling money out

I'm only an immature 18 year old but I would pull out at LEAST half of 100,000 if I had that much and pay for college.

jasonHoldEm 06-25-2004 04:28 PM

Try to find a copy of Dr. Al's Moving up articles...they don't seem to be on the cardplayer website but if you send him a PM he might hook you up with a copy.

Peace,
J

MicroBob 06-25-2004 04:29 PM

leave all your money in there and bet it all....ON RED!!!!

dogsballs 06-25-2004 04:48 PM

if you have another income, leave the BR there right now and play with it. Move up as you beat the limits until you find "your" limit/game (ie past which you start dropping in earn or are uncomfortable with teh stakes and/or player styles). then you'll know what BR you need to maintain.

how about that?

If I had 100k in UB, I'd pull 95k out and play smaller, but that's me. I can comfortably make 1k/wk from a 5k BR, which is "my level"...actually, I lie, I'd leave 10k online and dabble with the higher stakes, but prob not far from that 5-10k.

morgant 06-25-2004 05:06 PM

i second what dogs says. if you have your real job income, live off of that. i think the reward you can receive from having a healthy roll enabling you to move up in stakes till you find your spot will, in the long run, far outweigh the tangible items you might buy now. that is how i do it. but i dont really enjoy too much lavishness anyways. i have a limit i like to keep online, when i cross it, i withdraw and put it in a money market fund, it is still in my 'bankroll' but in a safe appreciable place.

JohnShaft 06-26-2004 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
leave all your money in there and bet it all....ON RED!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Always bet on Black. http://www.echlgoalies.com/emoticons/afro.gif

Webster 06-26-2004 10:05 AM

Live a little - pull money out and have fun with life - don't sit there and accumulate it for . . whenever - Poker is fun and you should enjoy life.

I took out $7K for a trip to St. John USVI (I'm a $4 table player). My bank is nice enough so I don't have to worry about trying to cover it.

If you are a winner there is always more coming in. You have earned the money so why not enjoy it.

Everybody is always concerned with moving up - I'm concerned with enjoying what I have and having fun!

morgant 06-26-2004 11:56 AM

My bank is nice enough so I don't have to worry about trying to cover it.

huh???? your bank may be nice, the IRS isn't. so if you or your bank are up to funny business, one is liable to be punished.

btw, which bank, i made need to use them [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

and i agree with having fun, my stance is that extra 7k could be used to be playing 10/20 where you can pull that out monthly(embellishment for arguments sake). in the end it depends on ones comfort zone, lifestyle, and personal views/tastes. the more you play the easier it is to fit your poker financing and game improvement into those criteria.

Webster 06-27-2004 11:49 AM

Even though I'm certain there is no problems online I'm still uncomfortable with

1. The IRS and playing 10/20 games
2. I do not trust game integraty at those levels - just to much money that I do not see. IF there were collusion problems or hacking problems - it would be at those levels.
3. IRS. Heck - If I'm pulling down 20K a year play at $4 tables that would mean 100K at higher levels and I do not trust the IRS to be fair with that much money on a game that is not legal and not illegle.

I'm just happy where I am with out the stress.