Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   When your opponent wants to see your cards for free... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=95123)

chesspain 06-17-2004 04:26 PM

When your opponent wants to see your cards for free...

Foxwoods 4/8...woman to my left is a stylish, thin blond forty year old. On the hand in question, I received a free play in the BB with black QTo. The flop contained a T and K w/two diamonds, and I checkcalled her bet after a few other callers. I checked on the turn after the J of diamonds fell, she bet, and when it was folded back to me I was feeling peckish and decided to c/r this scary board with my pair and OESD. She called. When the river brought a raggedy, fourth diamond, I bet...she blurts out "Damn," flashes me her A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the turned straight, and mucks!

She then says "So did you have the flush?"

I just shrugged my shoulders and smiled weakly. And then, still feeling somewhat stunned about what I thought I had just seen, I asked "Did you just muck a straight?"

She replied angrily, "Great, you want me to clarify my hand but you won't tell me what you had! I'll remember that; remember, two can play that way, AND I CAN!"

How would any of you have handled this situation, which put even more tension onto a table that already had its share of cranky players?

slavic 06-17-2004 04:30 PM

Re: When your opponent wants to see your cards for free...

I'd offer to tell her for $8

blackaces13 06-17-2004 04:52 PM

I'd say, "no, I had a busted straight draw" and then smile proudly. She wouldn't believe me anyway and it would screw with her head if we ended up in a pot again.

Dynasty 06-17-2004 06:03 PM

It is a bit rude of you to decline to answer her question and then ask her about her cards.

comic2b 06-17-2004 06:56 PM

After she flashes me her cards and they are mucked, several things pop into my head
1) Show her both cards and say. Wow that is way better than this hand
2) Lay both cards face down and say. I'll show you one card.
3) Tell her the truth (she probably wouldn't believe you)
4) Lie a) I made it on the river b) turned the nuts, why the hell else would I check raise c) top set and it never filled

If she was on my right I might do one of these moves. The move that I think is going to help her go on tilt. Since she is on my left. I really, really, really hate to anger those people.

Sundevils21 06-17-2004 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If she was on my right I might do one of these moves. The move that I think is going to help her go on tilt. Since she is on my left. I really, really, really hate to anger those people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love if she's on my left and pissed. Check raising the entire table time baby [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Shalara 06-17-2004 07:50 PM

Wow...

If she's going to muck that, I want her at my table. I always tell people what I had if they ask. I nearly always tell the truth [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In that situation, I would have said something like, "Oh, sorry, yeah. I was just surprised--my flushes hardly ever hold up, didn't mean to sound rude or anything" or something equally disarming and sweet.

Ed Miller 06-17-2004 08:46 PM

When someone asks me what I mucked, I always tell them something absurd like seven-deuce. It is a (relatively) friendly way to say, "Don't ask me about my cards after they are mucked."

chesspain 06-17-2004 09:00 PM

Normally online I type "AA...always AA," but given the combination of excitement and shock I felt after winning this hand and then seeing what I thought was a straight, I was just speechless.

I guess she needs to read your book [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MRBAA 06-17-2004 09:01 PM

Yep, I do about the same thing, just tell them whatever improbable hand comes into my mind. Saves the hostility of outright refusing.