Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Party 5-10 hand. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=89554)

The Dude 05-28-2004 03:05 PM

Party 5-10 hand.

Just curious if anyone plays this hand differently.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Folded to MP1 whol limps, as does CO. <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Do you call a raise or fold?

balkii 05-28-2004 03:19 PM

Re: Party 5-10 hand.

Yeah. I'd probably raise the flop. If SB has a good hand he might go 3-bets on the flop, and you could raise again on the turn. The K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] isn't going anywhere of course, but he might give some good action on the flop. The T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] probably chase this one the whole way, and probably even some lower hearts. Never hurts to get some coldcalls from people drawing dead.

On the end, I would have to call a raise.

adanthar 05-28-2004 03:19 PM

I think I raise the flop (since most won't put me on a flush if I do that and any high heart will draw anyway.)

Since you didn't, I'd do what you did, take overcalls and call a raise on the river. If you had the T I'd fold.

bdk3clash 05-28-2004 03:21 PM

I raise the flop. Boy, SB sure made it hard to check-raise the field on the turn, eh?

Having accidentally smooth-called the flop, I raise the turn.

Having accidentally smooth-called the turn, I bet the river when checked to. I call if raised (I'm getting 13:1). If it's raised and re-raised after me, I've got a decision to make...not sure on that one. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The Dude 05-28-2004 03:42 PM

OK, so let me get this straight. I call a bet on the flop and turn. Now the obvious flush card comes, and I bet into 3 opponents. You really think when I'm raised someone's doing it w/ the T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or less 1 in 14 times? W/o a specific read, I think you're nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I raise the flop (since most won't put me on a flush if I do that and any high heart will draw anyway.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If there were more high hearts out there, this might have more merit. But since the A and Q are on the board and I have the J, the only heart that calls a raise on the flop is the K, I think. Even as it was, it was very close for me between raising and calling.

FWIW, I'm planning to raise the river if no heart falls.

adanthar 05-28-2004 03:56 PM

Actually, this hand just came up 5 minutes ago:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB raises, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, MP2 3-bets, CO folds, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qs 9s (flush, king high).
UTG shows 2d 4h (flush, king high).
MP2 shows As 4s (flush, ace high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 16 BB. </font>

I was going to raise the turn, but with the K there calling down was better. Still, no way I'm folding here.

Bob T. 05-28-2004 04:01 PM

Call one raise, it just might be the ten of hearts. I might have raised on the turn, to try and charge a singleton heart the maximum to try and get there.

bdk3clash 05-28-2004 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think when I'm raised someone's doing it w/ the T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or less 1 in 14 times?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.

[ QUOTE ]
W/o a specific read, I think you're nuts. [Emphasis mine.]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is a matter of opinion and a gut-level thing, but I certainly don't think that calling on the end when raised, getting 13:1, is "nuts." I think folding would border on "nuts," but that's just my opinion.

It would take a strong read for me to lay down on the river getting 13:1 with the second nuts. For all I know, they think I'm betting because I don't want someone to hit with their 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or whatever.

Again, if there's a raise and a re-raise, I think you can fold with a pretty clear conscience, since it will potentially get reraised and capped by the third-best hand and the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I really wish we could figure these things out on PokerTracker. I must have dozens of hands like this in my database.

bdk3clash 05-28-2004 04:10 PM

UTG is my hero.

adanthar 05-28-2004 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is my hero.

[/ QUOTE ]And my new best friend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]