Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   smooth or stupid? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=63477)

Diplomatdcm 01-23-2004 03:34 PM

smooth or stupid?

Party 10-20 6 max
I am in the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
CO and button both limp Sb completes I check.
Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Sb checks, I check, CO bets, Button calls, Sb calls,
I raise, all call.
Turn is a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I check, CO bets, button calls SB calls I raise,
Co calls Button and Sb fold.
how is the bet, should i just give up, is the CO too confused to fold?

OrangeHeat 01-23-2004 04:01 PM

Re: smooth or stupid?

The pot is considerable size by now and you only have a draw. I don't like it at all. Someone is going to call and you only have K high - not good.

If you feel the need to do something other than check call on the turn betting would have been better since you showed strength on the flop. By checkraising you open the oppurtunity up for someone to three bet you - this should give you a quesy feeling in your stomach.

I would be inclined to bet rather than risk the threebet. Or check call is still an option. I don't think there is a huge difference between those two options. I think raising has to be a distant third choice.

Orange

andyfox 01-23-2004 04:03 PM

I don't know if the cut-off is confused, but I sure am.

I wouldn't give up yet because there's onemore card to come and you can still make a flush. Or a pair of Kings. Sure doesn't look like cut-off will fold as he probably has a Queen and you've made the pot awfully big.

Diplomatdcm 01-23-2004 04:08 PM

crap, sorry river was a blank and I bet,
that is the bet I was asking about at the end
sorry about that

OrangeHeat 01-23-2004 04:13 PM

The pot is monstrous on the river (for SH). You are probably going to get called by the CO. Unless you peg him exactly on a draw I don't like that either - even then he may even call you down with an A.

But hey you can say you fired three bullets in a row.......

Diplomatdcm 01-23-2004 04:19 PM

My idea was to check through on the turn, if i missed, becuase I have a lot of outs, but, since no one will fold any pair, i will only win if I hit. But, when the CO bet the turn and he got two callers I thought that with 12 outs I am getting the odds to raise with 3 callers, was this incorrect?

OrangeHeat 01-23-2004 04:26 PM

I dunno - It's around 4:1 to make it and they may call the river when u hit giving u some implied odds - BUT you risk getting threebet lowering your implied odss. In this case only one of them called so that whole theory goes out the window anyways. You got 1:1 on your raise.

Someone here keeps saying that putting a lot of money in on draws/shots is a good way to lose alot of money/go broke or something to that effect. I think this is one of those situations.

Orange

nykenny 01-23-2004 04:56 PM

bad play. turn 7 didn't improve anything. u only chance is CO somehow believes that you slow-played a monster. in online games, peole call more after they get check-raised. C/R flop and lead turn is better because you put in extra bet on cheap street, does the same representation and also has the benefit of better drawing odds.

kenny

Zele 01-23-2004 05:36 PM

I also hate the turn check-raise. If you want to semi-bluff here, you should bet out, but I would just check and call in most online $10/$20 games.

ike 01-23-2004 06:11 PM

Checkraising the flop was strong, you're getting the right odds on the bet and unless AX [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is out putting a lot of money in with your draw on the flop 4 ways is a winning proposition. However, when the turn misses you, you have to change gears, you now want to minimize the money that goes in since you've gone from a 2:1 dog to a 4:1 dog. Trying to bluff with this many players in the hand in a typical loose online game seems destined to fail. If you think about likely holdings for your opponents at least some of them have hands that will be hard to let go of. CO probably has something along the lines of KQ and its not unlikely that someone holds AX [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], in which case you're jamming with a hand that is drawing nearly or completely dead. Check-call the turn seems like be far the strongest play.