Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Did I play this ok? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=46797)

icepoker 09-26-2003 04:54 AM

Did I play this ok?

3/6 online full table

Couple of people post in lp
utg folds, I'm utg+1 and call with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (as soon as I pressed call I regreted not raising), utg+2 calls, mp raises, posters call, bb calls, I and utg+2 call.
Six to the flop for two bets.

Flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to the preflop raiser (pfr) who bets, folded to the bb who calls, I make it two, utg+2 calls two cold, pfr and bb call.
Given that pfr didn't make it three I feel good about my hand.

Turn is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
It is checked through. The K is a very scary card therefore the check, should I bet to see where I stand?

River is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked to the pfr who bets, bb folds, I call, utg+2 folds.
Do I have a raise here given the check through on the turn?

Any comments appreciated.

huzitup2 09-26-2003 05:44 AM

Re: Did I play this ok?

You do NOT want to raise with this hand in E/P with 2 late blinds.

You DO want to see the entire table take the flop for one bet.

If the button or the C/O raises after several players have already called be sure to thank him; regardless of the result he did you a favor.

* Do you see the diferrence between HIM raising and YOU raising ?

Speak up if you don't; we're all here to learn. (Well, MOST of us are [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

On the flop you do not have enough to call a bet and a call, especially since - -

1. The bet came from the P/F/R (who almost certainly has something, probably a better something than you) and was called by a player who also is highly likely to have a real hand (callers can't be bluffing - "protected pot" etc.).

2. You have no "miracle card(s)"; a non-heart Queen is a decent turn card - as is any Jack - but neither allows you to play the rest of the hand with any real confidence.

Your best choice here (IMO) was to fire at the flop; THAT would have gained you more information than check-raising and breating a sigh of relief when nobody made it 3 bets.

If you get raised you have a tough decision; if you get raised and another player cold-calls the raise, FOLD !

Betting the turn is a costly (and probably ineffective) way to find out where you stand.

What information have you gained if you get called ?

Betting when the King landed MIGHT have thinned the field; the problem is - well . . .

You won't knock out anyone that has you beat !

You might chase a straight draw or two (which would be a good thing) but I think the cost outweighs the potential reward. (If anyone has diamonds or hearts, they ain't goin' nowhere).

On the river you have at best a crying call.

If you raise it is because you want to get a better hand to fold OR get a lessor hand to call; neither is going to occur here.

Lemmee take one guess.

The P/F/R had A-Q; I'm guessing A-Q/off.

If it was A-Q/h or A-Q/d shame on him for how he played it; he deserved to lose.

Results please . . .

- H

huzitup2 09-26-2003 05:46 AM

Did you win ? (N/M)

-

icepoker 09-26-2003 04:43 PM

Results

So the guy had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] as was suggested. Yes he played it pretty bad, not putting any pressure on the flop and/or the turn imo. The K was a very bad card since there could have been a flush draw with the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] but when the hands that I put on a draw didn't bet the river but the pfr did I was pretty sure I had the best hand. Wether he would have called a raise or not, I don't know. Probably not alot of +EV there. Just after I played the hand I was pretty happy with the way I played it but after some thinking I'm not so sure.