Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Do I always call this down? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400584)

sweetjazz 12-18-2005 01:22 AM

Do I always call this down?

Against most opponents, I call this down. I almost always get shown a spade here. Against the ones who aren't very aggro on later streets (but aggro enough to raise the flop with a spade draw or bigger spade flush), should I consider folding the turn here? What about calling the turn but folding the river if he bets again?

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">Button folds</font>, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets...

12-18-2005 01:28 AM

Re: Do I always call this down?

I'm just curious, why didnt you 3-bet the flop? Waiting to checkraise a turn is an extremely bad idea in this case because a spade on the turn kills your hand and if he is drawing to the flush he can easily take a free card if he misses the turn.

Calling down really depends on your read of your opponent. Usually I call down too, but if hes not too aggro, I would consider folding. I also think calling a turn bet but folding to a river bet is also a bad idea against most opponents.

sweetjazz 12-18-2005 01:36 AM

Yeah, I think there are times when it is appropriate to wait to check-raise the turn. But you need the villain to be really aggro and continue their semibluffs all the time, plus bad enough to call down the check-raise without a spade (or good enough to fold something like K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). In this scenario, you give up too much by not getting the bigger bet in when you have a bigger equity edge.

But, that being the case, I think this was not the opponent to make that play against, and in hindsight, I much prefer just 3-betting the flop.

Had I done that, I could safely lead the turn and fold to a raise.

12-18-2005 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think there are times when it is appropriate to wait to check-raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not quite so sure about that part. I always always cap this flop and I see no reason why not to. If your opponent is that agro, he could easily end up capping the flop if you 3-bet, which is only better for you.

Given that you just called the raise on the flop, I would fold the turn though.